Founded in 1787, Castleton State College is a non-profit public higher education institution situated in the the rural setting of the small town of Castleton (population range of 2,500-9,999 inhabitants), Vermont. Formally accredited/recognized by the Commission on Institutions of Higher Education of the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Castleton State College (CSC) is a small (registration range: 2,000-2,999 pupils) coeducational higher education institution. This 229 years old HE institution has a selective admission policy depending on entrance examinations and pupils’ previous academic record and grades. International students are welcome to make an application for registration. CSC also provides several academic and non-academic facilities and services to pupils including sport facilities, housing, a library and/or activities, financial aids and/or scholarships, study abroad and exchange programs, together with administrative services.
Castleton offers master’s degrees in education and accounting as well as more than 30 undergraduate programs and has an enrollment of 2000 students. The New England Association of Schools and Colleges accredits the school.
Castleton University traces its history to the Rutland County Grammar School, chartered by the Vermont General Assembly on October 15, 1787. The Grammar School was a regional school, preparing young men for college through teaching in traditional academic areas for example Greek and Latin. Its name changed frequently during the 19th century. It was known as Vermont Classical High School, Castleton Academy and Female Seminary, Castleton Academy, and Castleton Seminary.
In 1823, teaching in “the solid branches of female education” started for “young Ladies and Misses”. From the Civil War, nearly all the students attending Castleton were young women.
In 1829, a three-story brick building costing US$30,000 was built on a little hill south of the village. The Seminary Building (eventually generally known as the Old Seminary Building) was the most remarkable structure in the hamlet, but expensive to maintain and frequently too large for the school’s fighting enrollment.
Castleton Medical College (1818-1862) was also found in the hamlet. 1400 students were graduated by it, more than any other New England medical school during the time. Although Castleton Seminary and Castleton Medical College were separate institutions, they frequently shared faculty. The former medical faculty building, called the Old Chapel, is the oldest building on the campus today.
The initial woman principal was Harriet Haskell (1862 1867). She had attended the Seminary at Middlebury College, took courses as a kid without being allowed to matriculate, and attended Mount Holyoke Female Seminary, which wasn’t yet a faculty but offered a college level curriculum for girls. Although Haskell was in her 20s when she served as principal, the school flourished under her administration. With her departure Castleton Seminary went into fall.
The school started its transition to some college, when the State Normal School at Castleton was founded as one of three state normal schools chartered by Vermont.[ citation ]
Schools that were normal educated students for teaching careers. In 1912, the property was bought by the State of Vermont.
In 1930s and the 1920s, underneath the direction of Caroline Woodruff, the College experienced remarkable increase in pupils and its own stature. Woodruff modernized the school’s program, incorporating the theories of Vermont educator-philosopher John Dewey, notably his precepts of “learning by doing” and “learning by teaching”. Caroline Woodruff hired staff and expanded her pupils’ exposure to the world by bringing people for example Robert Frost, Helen Keller, and Norman Rockwell . Woodruff was the only and first Vermonter to become president of the National Education Association.
The Normal School became Castleton Teachers College. With increased registration from men, intercollegiate athletic contest commenced in the 1950s.
On July 23, 2015, the Vermont State Colleges Board of Trustees voted unanimously to change the name of the institution to Castleton University.
Natural sciences department
The Natural Sciences Department is found in the Jeffords Science Center, named following the late U.S. Senator Jim Jeffords. It is the greatest department on campus, all with terminal degrees in their discipline, with 12 faculty members. Pupils have the alternative of seven different majors, in Ecological Studies, Chemistry, Biology, Environmental Science, Exercise Science, Geology and Health Science. The department is active with $538,823 in external grant funding from the National Institutes of Health-VGN and the National Science Foundation.
Because of the small student/faculty ratio, students participate in independent research projects focused on salamander and snake ecology together with microbial and plant genetics. Research is financed externally through grants furnished by the Vermont Genetics Network and the American Society for Microbiology.
The chemistry program allows for specialization in Biochemistry or Environmental Chemistry.
Castleton Polling Institute
With an initial investment of $100,000., the Castleton Polling Institute was begun by Castleton in the year 2012 The very first survey was conducted from February 11 to February 22, 2012 and polled Vermont voters. Since the very first survey, the Polling Institute has conducted over 30 public opinion and public policy polls for state agencies, nonprofits, and media organizations. The Institute’s founding director, Rich Clark, had been working for 15 years in academia and polling before coming to Castleton in 2011 from the University of Georgia and is a professor of political science.